Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 50 pound dog takes 1-2 of Xanax for anxiety during

Customer Question

My 50 pound dog takes 1-2 of Xanax for anxiety during thunderstorms and it barely impacts him other than calm him a little bit and stop his pacing.
My 2 year old 35lb English bulldog just snagged a 5mg pill of Valium of mine that I dropped and he swallowed it before I could get to it. I'm very worried. We line in the country and there is NO vet open on Sunday and the closest Emergency 24hr vet is over 3 hours away.
Can you PLEASE tell me if Valium is poisonous to dogs? I've heard that some vets do prescribe it but I don't know anything about the doseage.
If it is poisonois, what should I do? If it isn't poisonois, is 5mg considered an overdose for a 35lb dog?
I'm extremely upset and worried about my dog. Please help!!!
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Does the 35# ***** take any medications? Was it only the 5mg valium that was consumed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.