Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Oh I have a English cream Retriever - 1 yr - noticed today

Customer Question

Oh hello, I have a English cream Retriever - 1 yr - noticed today that her skin is changing from pink to a speckled black or dark brown. She is not bothered by it - no itcying or scratching
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Abigail 1 yr old today
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Abigail?
Customer: she was on antibootics multiply times as a puppy until we had surgery to move her vagina. it was too low hanging under the belly area so it was causing UTIs
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Where are you seeing the pigment?
2) When was her last course of antibiotics?
3) Can you provide pictures showing the pigment?
4) Have any diagnostics been performed on these areas?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1) Hind Leg and rib cage
2) six months ago
3) no
4) no
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No fleas or ticks - on Revolution
we have a pool so we had her groomed short hair for the summer to make swimming easier

Without pictures, it makes it difficult to know what you are seeing.

Often with dogs that have taken antibiotics regularly or recently, we see pigment from a fungal infection. Not all of these dogs will become itchy or even show symptoms aside from the pigmentation. If she was active during this summer in the water, this would be even more likely as the area would have been moist and warm (a breeding ground for yeast). Some dogs in these areas will have some flaking skin and it may have a smell similar to bread. One of the most effective diagnostics is to have your vet perform a tape test to sample what cells and other flora may be present in the area. If this is fungal, oral medication should help to eliminate the overgrowth and her skin will return to being pink.

Another concern would be thyroid issues, but she is rather young for hypothyroidism which is common in goldens and other retrievers. If nothing is found on the skin diagnostics, it wouldn't hurt to get a baseline thyroid level on her.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Checking in. How is your companion doing?