How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sally G. Your Own Question
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 9201
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Sally G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 18 month old golden doodle has two hot spots on his back.

Customer Question

My 18 month old golden doodle has two hot spots on his back. They're flaky and smell like yeast. The owner of the day care suggested using hibiclens on the affected areas to keep him dry to prevent the bacteria from growing. Curious how I should use the hibiclens. Do I poor it on the spots and rinse away? Or, do I massage it in or leave it on for a specific period of time before rinsing.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

I might rethink using that as it contains Isopropyl alcohol and not great for your dog to ingest.

What have you tried to prevent the dog from accessing the area?

Can you tell me if you have shaved the area down around the hot spots?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Sally. We've given him benadryl and that has successfully stopped him from trying to chew or scratch the areas on his back. We also got him groomed shorter than usual on Friday so we could provide better ventilation to the areas.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for that information. If you can keep him from the area, then I would just wash it daily with an antibaciterial soap and dry well,. Then apply a triple antiboitc ointment on it that does not contain Zinc oxide as this can be toxic if ingested.

YOu can also invest in a Cone collar (comfy cone is a good one) to make sure the dog cannot lick or chew because it is the moisture and the bacteria that causes such an infection in a hot spot. They need to stay dry to heal so any licking is not good.

In some cases the bacterial infection goes deep and in those cases oral antibiotics may be needed. If you are keeping it clean and dry and it is not healing well it may go deep below the skin and you should see a Vet for antibiotics. They also will likely give you an antibiotic spray called gentocin which is sometime easier than an ointment to put on the spot.

this works well on hot spots as well which may be recommended from your vet

Here is more on helping hot spots