Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

My 13.5 year old basset hound is on carprofen and gabapentin

Customer Question

my 13.5 year old basset hound is on carprofen and gabapentin twice daily for herniated discs. He has always had a murmur for the last 3 years. An echo years ago showed mitral valve disease. His murmur has become louder this year. A 6 out of 6 (it had been a 2 out of 6). He really shows no sign of CHF, no consistent panting or coughing. Gets around pretty good for a 13+old. My vet would like to start him on Enalapril, Aldactone, and Pimobendan. Would this really be a benefit for him? Extend his life? He also takes a zanac at night because he paces during the night.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Basset Hound boy. I am typing up a reply now and will have this with you in the next few minutes.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Your boy actually sounds like he is doing very well for an older Basset Hound! The herniated discs are pretty common in the breed, but it sounds like you are managing the pain and restriction of movement pretty well with the non steroidal and gabapentin. Gabapentin is great for this, as it is idea for neuropathic spinal nerve pain. The progression of your boy's mitral valve murmur is definitely a concern, and the progression from a 2/6 to a 6/6 (palpable murmur) is certainly a sign of more progressive regurgitation. It will only be a matter of time before things continue on to CHF, but it is good to hear he isn't showing outward signs of this just yet. Your vets plans for the 3 heart meds is perfect, and these will help to control his blood pressure, minimize fluid build up and ensure the heart beats at a good strength and rate. The plan for these meds is to slow the progression of the heart disease - nothing can be done to 'reverse' it, however the drugs could potentially delay the onset of the outward signs of CHF. In turn, they could potentially extend his life, yes. These are definitely worth starting, and there will need to be changes and adjustments to the dosages of each along the way, and potentially another med or two added in once signs of CHF are present.

The zantac is fine and shouldn't interact with anything else here. The only consideration would be to keep an eye on your boy's renal parameters and reconsider the carprofen if these become affected with time. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.