Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My dog is 17 years old. Recently she has been jumpy and

Customer Question

My dog is 17 years old. Recently she has been jumpy and getting scared with rapid movements or shadows. Qhen that happens it becomes difficult for her to walk. It only happens outside.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I have she doesnt yelp or show any pain
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kimmy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kimmy?
Customer: She has been coughing a lot the vet said its bronchitis
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

It is not unusual for a elder dog to change like this. Both the hearing and sight begins to decrease and this makes them see and hear things that might not really be there. They also begin to loose some cognitive function much like humans do with dementia.

I would make sure to keep walks short, and in well lit areas and use familiar commands to redirect her when she gets spooked. I might even think about playing some calming music over your smart phone when you walk placing the sound on the side she is on as well bring a bright flash light for visibility.

Here is a youtube site with music just for dogs.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much. I will do this for her to see if it makes a difference. Thank you
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome.