Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He has inflammatory bowel and protein losing entropy and its

Customer Question

he has inflammatory bowel and protein losing entropy and its severe
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: he feels like garbage.. any tips to making him feel better?
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: he won't eat.. he has inflammatory bowel, so he has chronic diarehea.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: wylee 12
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about wylee?
Customer: he is on budesonide, flagyl, tylan powder and an imusuppresant drug also b-12 shots, sub q fluids
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Wylee. The standard of care (and then some) has been met as it pertains to the excellent care he has received. Unfortunately there comes a time in most of these severely affected dogs at which medications aren't effective any longer. Certain breeds such as Yorkies are overrepresented in this subset of dogs. Which breed is he, please?

The only additional care I would consider is a gastrointestinal motility drug in the form of a narcotic such as loperamide or diphenoxylate with atropine which would hopefully establish a more regular (less crampy) motility. You also have the option of seeing how a systemic narcotic affects him - low dose buprenorphine, e.g. Please continue our conversation if you wish.