Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

He just ate a nearly full jar of gummy melatonin. Each gummy

Customer Question

He just ate a nearly full jar of gummy melatonin. Each gummy was 2.5mg.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chally. 17 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chally?
Customer: He's about 60-70 pounds. Black lab/ shepherd mix. Also, not entirely sure when we ate it. The kids just found the empty jar.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Can you give me an idea of how many were in the bottle? Had it been full, half full, et?

Can you confirm there wasn't any artificial sugars, namely xylitol?

How long ago do you think he had these?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was probably 3/4 full. There were originally 120 in there. No artificial sugars.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I attached the other ingredient information.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He probably ate them about an hour ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I am glad to see no extra worrisome additives. Now Chally has given himself quite a dose and very high doses of Melatonin can cause sedation, skin irritation, and gut upset (vomiting, diarrhea). Therefore, if he had these an hour ago, then we'd be best to take some steps to get these back up and reduce any risk here.

To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall,Chally has really given himself quite a dose. Melatonin is something we do use in dogs but at very small doses. Therefore, we'd be best to use the above to get as many of these out of his stomach just now and counteract their effects. Otherwise, we'd want to keep his stomach settled and keep a close eye over the next 48 hours.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.