Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

She's been fighting fleas for about two months. We have

Customer Question

She's been fighting fleas for about two months. We have tried everything to help her. They have to be in the house. We bought treatment to "bomb" the place but have to get her out of the house for a few hours in order to do so.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bella.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: She had whipworms about 6 months ago, but we have since moved.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you please give me a detailed explanation of what has been done to battle the fleas? Please include info on:

1) What medication is being used on her and how often its used.
2) Protocol for house cleaning.
3) What type of bombing was done.
4) If Bella is indoors only or indoor/outdoor.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just now saw your questions. I apologize for not responding directly. When looking at your response I only saw the "responding." We used frontline.. She hasn't had it in a month, but didn't seem to help. Protocol for house cleaning is that we vacuum and keep it nice.. But just moved in. Bella stays in the kitchen while her mom's are at work; we wash her blankies regularly. The bombing hasn't been done yet because she's a pit bull and although she will just lick you to death, the neighbors seem scared of her. We need to get her away from the house for a few hours in order to bomb it. Unfortunately, we can't take her to the dog park (she wants to play with everyone everyone is afraid of a pit,) or to a friends house with the fleas she has. When I saw my fiancé send me the throw up picture I was scared to death that the fleas took over. Thank you for easing my mind.

I completely understand the "hazards" that come with owning bully breeds. It's certainly not a job for the faint of heart with all the scrutiny and stereotypes we fight.

There's a lot to be said and done with Bella's situation, so let's dive right in.

Did Bella acquire these fleas when you moved in or before?