Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I just dropped a 50mg topamax pill and cannot find it, at

Customer Question

I just dropped a 50mg topamax pill and cannot find it, at the same time, my 4lb yorkie was mincing on something and when I tried to see what she had she ran n swallowed what she had so not sure if she had the pill or not. Will she be ok n what should we do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zoey n 2 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about n?
Customer: No, Zoey's in good health n very hyper all the time, usually runs whenever we try to see what she has in her mouth if it's hers or not, so it's hard to tell what she might have had, but it was really small n crunchy like my Med would have been
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I might dose a 4 lb dog with 10 mg of topiramate (Topamax). Of the exposures reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center 32% of dogs became lethargic and 15% ataxic ("drunken sailor"). If ingestion were recent - within the hour - inducing emesis with 1 measuring teaspoon (5 mL) of 3% hydrogen peroxide would be prudent. Zoey should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, please repeat the same dose.