Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

She has been constipated since she had dental surgery on

Customer Question

She has been constipated since she had dental surgery on Tuesday. She went once - but not much came out. She's on a medicine that has constipation listed as a side effect (Carprofen). She is also on Clindamycin. Should we be worried?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: That's it!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

A small change in her diet should help with these changes. As long as she's eating and drinking well, she should eventually be able to move the stool normally too. I would recommend adding 1 heaping tbsp/20# ***** pure canned pumpkin at each meal. This should help to get her defecating and regulate her stool. Use this method as long as needed, it won't harm her one bit if she likes the pumpkin and you wish to continue to use it in the future. You may, however, see orange stool from the fiber content.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's what we read online. Unfortunately, there's a pumpkin shortage, and we've been unable to find canned pumpkin. She went today... She was straining, and it was mostly liquid. Progress?

If it was mostly liquid, she's likely cramping due to diarrhea and not because she's constipated. The fiber will help to regulate the consistency of the stool. If you do not have access to pumpkin, use a bland diet instead. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel.