Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

Vomited a few times yesterday' and day before Nothing today

Customer Question

Vomited a few times yesterday' and day before Nothing today but will not go outside to pee or poop He did poop yesterday and isn't showing signs of acute distress but is certainly uncomfortable
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: There was some paper towel and q tips in vomit so I suppose some trash but I did not witness him doing it
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tuukka 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tuukka?
Customer: He had a foreign body removed last year so I'm wondering since the vomiting stopped should I give him another day or so to pass anything or bounce back? Can I give anything over the counter
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Tuukka. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you. He is 100lbs malamute lab mix
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with your malamute/lab mix boy, Tuukka today and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything that he could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. Given his history of having had a foreign body obstruction before, and with seeing the q tips and paper towel in his vomit, we definitely have to consider this again now. You will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on Tuukka, and if this vomiting continues, then you will need to get him seen by your local after hours vet today or tonight. Likewise, if he seems particularly lethargic now, you are best to try and find a local after hours vet to check him over straight away. The fact he hasn't pooped for a day or so, alongside the vomiting, certainly points towards a potential partial or complete obstruction.

For now, make sure he has plenty of fresh water available and encourage him to drink. The biggest concern right now is that he could become dehydrated. If he won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get him seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start him on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold his food until the morning now, and from then you can start him on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting him to eat tonight, but definitely encourage him to drink now and over night. If he isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making him up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed him this luke-warm broth.

For now, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As Tuukka is likely quite nauseous right now, you may also want to try him with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Best of luck with Tuukka and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if he can't keep water down, seems very lethargic, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get him seen this afternoon or tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hopefully Tuukka's mucus membranes and refill time are all ok. Let me know if you need any further help here.

Kind Regards,

Dr E