How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. G. Your Own Question
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 1906
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 5 month old puppy chewed on the leaf of a leek. Don't

Customer Question

My 5 month old puppy chewed on the leaf of a leek. Don't think he invested much if anything, but nervous about the toxicity. He did it about 30 minutes ago and is behaving normal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Leonard
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Leonard?
Customer: He's about 20-25 lbs
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this happened.

did he eat anything or just chew on a leaf?

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

With his weight he would need to ingest about 4 ounces of leeks to cause clinical signs of toxicity. If he only chewed on a leaf it is unlikely he will develop any major toxicity. He should be just fine and not develop any toxicity with this small amount of exposure.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with today.

I wish you both the best.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. It was the top part of one leaf...about 5 inches long and he did not ingest most of it. It's was chewed into some pieces but believe I got it all. If he ingested any i think it was a pretty small amount.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

With his weight he would need to ingest about 4 ounces of leeks to cause clinical signs of toxicity. If he only chewed on a leaf it is unlikely he will develop any major toxicity. He should be just fine and I would not expect him to develop any toxicity with this small amount of exposure.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome.

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hopefully that's all :-)
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

Sounds good.

Have a wonderful night!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great rest of your weekend!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. G.