Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

My almost 5 month old chi vomited, had diarrhea twice is

Customer Question

My almost 5 month old chi vomited, had diarrhea twice is shaking and can't get comfortable. She had her da2pp shot 3 days ago. Reaction? Or something else? She only weighs 4 pounds. Also worried if her sister will get whatever she has also. Won't drink her water or eat now
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I know of but she and her sister always try to eat dirt or whatever they find in backyard and love to eat little pieces of fiber or strings of old carpet which I am constantly trying to vacuum up before they get to it
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Because I got the girls when they were 3 months old they only got 2 of the series of shots not 3. Other than that no. Due for spaying beginning of October.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The vaccine can certainly cause a digestive disturbance disturbance as a reaction especially since your girl is so young and tiny. It also may be that she got into something that did not agree with her. If this were contagious, your other one would also have this. It is good, for now, to separate them and treat your girl this way:

Fast your girl for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the vomiting and diarrhea have resolved, then wean her back onto regular food. If the this persists especially during the fast, take your gal to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an infection or intestinal obstruction.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that would .20mg of Pepcid AV every 8 hrs? And just a little bit of rice and chicken when she's hungry?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
After her fast I mean to feed her. Sorry

That would be 2 mg Pepcid AC every 8 hrs. You will have to cut a 10 mg tablet into 1/4 and give that every 8 hrs and feed only a bit of rice and boiled chicken every 6-8 hrs....after the fast...hope that is more clear. I hope this helps your little gal!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you! My vet is closed over weekend and of course that is when something always happens!
Any other questions or problems I will definitely ask for you! Again thank you and have a good weekend ��

You are very welcome! Please do not hesitate to contact me again if you get worried...I am always happy to help. I hope your weekend gets better too...:-))