Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My shih tzu is acting very strange. I put some food down for

Customer Question

My shih tzu is acting very strange. I put some food down for her and our other dog and she didn't come. I thought maybe she got outside so looked around and found her in my 5 yr old's bedroom. She seemed really out of it. She is normally very excitable and hyper but she was just sitting there staring up towards the ceiling. She keeps stretching her head up and back then she bobs a little bit and licks her lips. She is kinda swaying slightly while sitting and keeps blinking then licking her lips.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cupcake approx 7 yrs old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cupcake
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cupcake?
Customer: She is just not behaving normally at all - Super relaxed and that's just not like her.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Do her eyes dart back and forth?

Is she able to walk or does she have a drunken walk?

Is there any head tilt?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She seems fine now. We found a spider (like a wolf spider not brown recluse or black widow) in the hall and thought maybe she got bitten. She started licking a spot on her side and I looked but didn't specifically see a bite but the spot seemed a little tender. As time went by last night, she seemed to be feeling better and acting like her "normal" self. I am going to try to get her an appointment at the vet on Monday.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

That is great to hear!