Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My daughters dog is due to have puppys on monday and i have

Customer Question

My daughters dog is due to have puppys on monday and i have her just wondering if she goes into labour will a vet come out and help
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the puppy?
Customer: What r the signs if she is in labour
JA: Where does the puppy seem to hurt?
Customer: I dont know i found her under the house in a space that she got in but couldnt get out and was digger does that mean she was nesting and getting ready to go into labour
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No she sleeping now
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the puppy. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sassy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sassy?
Customer: No i dont think so i just worried i got know idea what to do if she goes into labour before monday as my daughter is not back till then
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Has your daughter been in contact with a mobile veterinarian in your area?
2) Have you been present during labor and delivery before?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No she book the cruise before the dog got pregent so she not here till monday no she hasnt got in contact with a vet and i havent see a dog deliver before
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was just wondering if a vet comes out if i need help

I cannot say specifically for your area. Now is the time to search. Mobile vets will be the only ones that would come out, otherwise she would need to go to the ER for care. I would start making considerations now. If she has trouble, she may need an emergency c-section which can run $1500-$4000 on a weekend.

If she is digging, she may be nesting and, yes, this could be the first stages of labor.

Stages of labor here:

If she starts actively pushing and more than 30 minutes goes between puppies, she needs veterinary assistance.

Probably your vet bet at determining when she is going to deliver will be taking a rectal temp. Once it drops below 100 degrees, she should deliver within 24 hours.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

How is Sassy doing, JACustomer?