Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

On Wed last, my 11lb dog was playing outside and he got into

Customer Question

Hi On Wed last, my 11lb dog was playing outside and he got into the area of an old culvert (we are campground hosts and there are several of them). I noticed him licking his left paw more than usual. When I went to get him, he was limping and holding his foot up. I did not see any blood. I let him sleep all night and in the morning he wasn't limping during our normal 1 mile walk. Then we played run run run where he runs as fast as he can then stops and turns around until I say "touch" and he runs back to me, gets a small pepperoni treat. We do this about half a dozen times and then I head back to the camper and say touch again. This time he favors his foot again and I went over and picked him up an carried him back. Things seemed to get normal again but now this morning he is really favoring that paw and he won't even let me touch it without pulling back. Thanks for any help you can offer. My vet lives about 250 miles away and I am leaving tomorrow morning (Sat) to go back home for a funeral on Tue.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he 2 will be 3 on Oct 31st
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pepper?
Customer: No, he is perfectly healthy and has the energy that I don't have
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 2 months ago.

Does Pepper's paw seem swollen or hot to the touch?

And you didn't notice any cuts or spots that look unusual?