Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My dog got hit by a car yesterday and other than limping, he

Customer Question

my dog got hit by a car yesterday and other than limping, he appears to be doing fine. he's eating and drinking water and going to the bathroom with no blood. i've moved his joints and applied pressure and he doesn't yelp or lick my hands
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: there's a little scrape on the pad on his wrist, but that's it
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: jack and he's only 7 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about jack?
Customer: not really...the car wasn't going fast but you could tell he was shook up
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How can I best help you today, JACustomer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I know I can always bring him in for a vet visit, but I want to make sure I can do a quick exam first because he seems like he's fine

It sounds like you've done the basic examination already. We would check:

Skin over the head and neck
Palpate each limb for pain
Check the ribs for pain
Check the feet for pain
Check the spine and tail for pain

If you're seeing small abrasions, those can be cleaned 2x daily with a mild soap, water and soft cloth. Pat dry after cleaning and apply a thin layer of neosporin 2x daily.

The fact that he is eating, drinking, urinating and defecation well, this is a good sign.

He is likely limping due to tenderness. Although there's always a risk of bleeding, we can give aspirin to pets to help with discomfort in a pinch. Dosing info here:

If the limping persists, it's time for an exam and your vet may recommend x-rays to be sure nothing is fractured.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Checking in. How is Jack doing?