Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I have a German shepherd who is 4 years old now. He seems to

Customer Question

Hey! I have a German shepherd who is 4 years old now. He seems to be moving a little weirdly these days. he plays a lot and also has no trouble climbing sofas and chairs. Was just wondering how do i ensure he never develops arthritis / hip dysplasia
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Oscar
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oscar?
Customer: Nothing else. Otherwise he is quite playful
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now it is important to know that hip dysplasia is a genetic issue, therefore it cannot be prevented. And if Oscar is struggling a bit with his gait, it would be ideal to have his vet xray his hips to see if this is an issue for him.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** his body and keeping him mobile, we do have a few options. To start, we do want to make sure he continues to exercise well without overdoing things. So, its good that he plays and is active. Further to this, you can help him keep his joints supple and his muscle mass strong (this is important since it can help counter hip joint issues) by having him swim. Swimming is a great activity for dogs when we want to keep their muscle levels good but don't want to over-strain the joints.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** supporting supplements, there are a few you could consider using. Often glucosamine/chondroitin helpful. This is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). There are a range of products on the markets and examples of ones we typically use for dogs include Cosequin, Seraquin, and Flexivet. It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight.

Further to this, the natural anti-inflammatory properties of Omega 3 + 6 (EPA + DHA) fish oils can be of benefit. Again this can be purchased over the counter at vets, pet stores, and health food stores. If you did want to try this for him, we tend to give a dose equal to 20mg per pound of their body weight. So, this would be another supportive measure you could consider for your lad.

Finally, there are also supports like Durlactin (example) or you could speak to his vet about injectable treatments to keep those joints and their cartilage health and reduce the risk of arthritis. But again since he is a German shepherd and hip dysplasia is a genetic issue, do consider the above but also an xray so you can see what is already present and work from there to keep any issue from causing him bother.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes,

**Please rate me by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you (this is at no extra cost). Thank you!: )