Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

He coughs and sneezes frequently throwing everyware its been

Customer Question

he coughs and sneezes frequently throwing snot everyware its been going on for months and ive had him to 2 vets with no solution found!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sammy
JA: How old is Sammy?
Customer: hes 8 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sammy?
Customer: No I think thats all as he eats well and is happy.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my response. Thank you

Since Sammy has been seen by a couple of veterinarians, I am going to assume that he has been treated with antibiotics with no response. Please correct me if that statement is wrong. Nasal discharge and coughing can be a sign or a respiratory infection (upper or lower respiratory tract). However, it can also be a sign of lung worm infection. Lungworm infections typically have very mucoid nasal discharges that do not respond to antibiotics. We see lungworms in certain regions or the country. You should have him tested. Certain deworming medications are used to treat. What state are you in?