Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I put ear wax removal drops in the dogs eye by mistake in

Customer Question

I put ear wax removal drops in the dogs eye by mistake in stead of her eye drop . After I realized i rinsed her eyes out with salt water.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jasmine she ten a German Shepard
JA: How old is Jasmine?
Customer: ten
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jasmine?
Customer: she 7 years old, and has a eye condition . We give her neo/poly. /des eye drop (anti-inflammatory ) one drop daily , cyclosporine A 1% eye drop - apply 1 drop to both eye 2time daily
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 1 month ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I understand that you used an ear wax removal drop in your pets eyes by mistake. This can unfortunately cause acidic chemical burns to the eye rather quickly.

The best thing to rinse the eyes out with is sterile eye wash solution that is saline based.

How do the eyes look right now? Any redness, rubbing or discharge?

Please provide a picture if you can so that I can evaluate the eyes. There is an icon on your screen (perhaps just above the chat box) where you can "attach files" or "attach photo". Let me know if you have trouble finding it.

- Dr. H