Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My dog ate some berries a couple days ago and she won't eat

Customer Question

Hello, my dog ate some berries a couple days ago and she won't eat now. She had diarrhea yesterday but won't go anymore. I live in PA and the berries are small, purple in color with pits in them. They also grow on small clusters attached to leaves that almost look like maple levessels but spade shaped.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is Bindi
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bindi?
Customer: Oh, she's making a weird sound with her mouth after she drinks. Sorry of like a lapping sound as if she's still drinking. One more thing, her energy level on walks us a bit slower.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Many of these wild berries contain cyanide that can be toxic to your sweet Bindi. This will cause a digestive disturbance, which you are seeing now with Bindi. Since there is not any vomiting, this may resolve with the following treatment:

Fast Bindi for 12-24 hrs which she is doing herself to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the symptoms have resolved, then wean Bindi back onto regular food. If the they persist especially during the fast, take your sweet Bindi to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as a cyanide poison or metabolic issues that would require veterinary attention.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, thank you very much! I'm running to the store now!

Good for you! I hope sweet Bindi feels better soon! It is a good sign that she is still drinking even if it sounds weird. This may be due to the effect of the berries on her gums. Watch her closely and let me know if she does not respond.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta