Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My dog just ate a whole package of light cream cheese!! Her

Customer Question

My dog just ate a whole package of light cream cheese!!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** approx. 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nala?
Customer: She's been licking her butt, itches her. She just had a full physical but I still don't have the blood test results. She's 52 lbs.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ yeas. I would to assist you.

Cream cheese is non toxic but because of the lactose it can upset the stomach, cause vomiting and diarrhea. The packaging should pass with the cream cheese. The Diarrhea and vomiting can be controlled by picking up food and limiting water and with a bland diet with a bland diet of skinless chicken breast boiled 1 part to 3 parts white rice. For vomiting you can give (1) 10 mg Pepcid AC every 12 hours. Please add a Tablespoon of Pure canned Pumpkin to meals to help expedite the passing of the wrapper and cream cheese. Watch for any problems passing stool and the wrapper to pass.

We will have to watch for is Pancreatitis since cream cheese can be rich, but being a larger dog, Nala my mot have any issues with that. The signs of Pancreatitis can be similar to an upset stomach but more intense and severe where the vomiting cannot be controlled, abdominal pain, fever, and dehydration. We again need to chak stool for the wrapper to pass and again watch for any problems passing stool due to the wrapper. If these severe symptoms show then a Vet visit would be needed.

If you have concerns, please hit reply. I am hoping that since light cream cheese and her being a larger dog, there will not be any issues.

Joan