Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My dog has bouts of reverse sneezing. Especially in the

Customer Question

My dog has bouts of reverse sneezing. Especially in the middle of the night. We live in a dry climate. High desert. Any solutions? He doesn't have anything stuck up his nasal passages.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tanner 16 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tanner?
Customer: Nothing
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Any history of illness or injury?
2) Is Tanner on any medications?
3) What breed is he?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No illness or injury. He is a German wirehair

Thanks for the additional info. Often there is no effective treatment to stop reverse sneezing. However, it's worthwhile to try an antihistamine regimen to see if allergies (even mild) are contributing to the frequency of the events. My favorite is zyrtec. You can find the dosages for this and all other canine-safe antihistamines available here:

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Checking in. How is Tanner doing?