How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sally G. Your Own Question
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 9411
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Sally G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dogs ate a pack of juicy fruit gum, about 10 pieces - pretty

Customer Question

dogs ate a pack of juicy fruit gum
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: about 10 pieces - pretty sure it was our bloodhound - over 115 pounds it could have been our australian shepherd - they both counter surf and my husband and son left it in reach
JA: How old is about?
Customer: Our bloodhound is almost 5, the shepherd turned 2 in may
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about about?
Customer: not that i know of
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

When did the dog eat this?

Do you know if the gum had any Xylitol in it? (Xylitol is an artificial sweetner like sweet and low)

Is the dog acting okay, eating drinking etc?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No xylitol. Just the following: sugar, gum base, corn syrup, citric acid, and less than 2% malic acid, glycerol, soy, aspartame, sucrolose, acesulfame k, and then it says it contains phenylalanine
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
dogs are totally fine
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you. The good news is there is not Xylitol which can be deadly to dogs. I would say at this point just watch for the dog to pass it in the stool. If it does not pass through it causes an obstruction of the bowel and here are the symptoms to watch for. Sudden lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy.

You can add some pure canned pumpkin to the dogs daily meal for the next couple of days to help it pass through. A few tablespoons should be enough.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome. Have a wonderful day:)