Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My dog has a big cotton ball sized hard lump on top of her

Customer Question

Hi my dog has a big cotton ball sized hard lump on top of her back foot what could it be ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Storm
JA: How old is Storm?
Customer: 9
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Storm?
Customer: Allergic to fleas
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When did this first show up?
2) Is she licking?
3) Any pictures to share?
4) What breed of dog is Storm?
5) Are all nails on this foot the same length? Are the middle 2 substantially shorter than the outer nails?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Its shoed up a few months ago and she is a staff cross ballmastif no licking it she doesnt even acknowlege its there .. All nails are the same length no difference on foot nor other feet all the same .. It only came up when she kept knocking it jumping in and out of the car

Thank you, ***** ***** to share of the area?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No i havent

At 9 years of age, we always have to worry about cancer so if this area stays raised and continues to be present, and especially if growing, you need to have it examined and possibly biopsied. Otherwise, this may simply be an area that is calloused if, as you say, she continues to knock it about when jumping into and out of the car.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Checking in. How is Storm doing?