Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My Lhaso Apso has a lot of small/medium cyst. About 5 days

Customer Question

My Lhaso Apso has a lot of small/medium cyst. About 5 days ago a large mass appeared right above his tail. The base of his spine. Took him in to vet. They shaved it & stuck a needle in it. Said a lot of blood was coming out. Put him on antibiotics every 12 hours. Now it is getting bigger again. Please help. 😩😢 I rescued my baby at 4. He is 9 1/2. Sweetest baby ever. Also
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Gus. He is the sweetest dog ever. What do you think of the symptoms. I cook for him twice a day. 😊 Salmon, Bison, etc., all organic .. No antibiotics. Veggies give him Gas. He loves white rice. Thanks for your help. Have a great week.
JA: I'm sure Gus feels you are doing your best. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gus?
Customer: They did say if it gets worse he will have to have surgery to remove it. I do not know his history or if he has any side effects from being put to sleep or if he ever has. Taking him back in tomorrow.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would love to assist you.

Did the Vet send the fluid off for Pathology to the Lab to see what the cause of the cyst and a culture and sensitivity?

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I actually do not know. I would hope so. They never mentioned sending it off. He is eating, running, happy but he is a tough guy. His owners took him at 4 to be euthanized. They got a new puppy. �� Vet refused to put him down... Not one thing wrong with him. I adopted him one week later or as I say he adopted us. Best boy ever. Former nurse. Praying it is not malignancy. He was abused so he deserves a very long, happy life.
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

That area has a lot of oil glands and may have become plugged up causing a cyst. I would make sure they did send off the FNA Fine Needle aspirate to be sure you know what is going on. I would try some warm compresses on the area to see if the warmth will break down what is in there and help to disperse the fluid to reduce the swelling. Between the warm compresses and the Antibiotics, hopefully will start making a difference within a day or two you will see the swelling going down.

My goal is to assist you and Gus. I strive for excellent service and to earn a 5 star rating for that service. If you have questions or concerns, please hit reply.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, Checking in to see if you Vet gave you any results on the cyst?

Joan