Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

He is descending the stairs very slowly and even stops and

Customer Question

he is descending the stairs very slowly and even stops and sits, yesterday morning he went down the steps fine, last night he had the problem, I have never seen him this way.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: other than suddenly not being to descend stairs he is healthy
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: It seems like either his front right shoulder or his left back area.
JA: OK. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is an 8 year pit bull who most of the time still acts like a puppy lots of energy and very active.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jager?
Customer: interestingly he did have a bout of diarrhea 2 weeks ago, after about four days he was back to normal, but it would be hard to understand how that could have anything to do with this. other than that he his very health and happy.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Any history of illness or injury?
2) Any concerns with ticks during his lifetime?
3) Has Jager ever had x-rays performed on the areas you suspect to be at fault?
4) Is he on any medications at this time?
5) Is he on any supplements at this time?
6) Still eating and drinking well?
7) Do the episodes come and go or persist?
8) Do you have video to share of what you're seeing?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1) No
2) live Las Vegas, Nevada
3) No, set an appointment for tomorrow
4) Flora, for digestion
5) Right now persist, it has only been one day
6) No

Thank you for the additional information.

The first thing we worry about in a senior dog (and Jager is an early senior at 8 years of age) would be age-relate arthritis. This is most common in the lower spine and hips of dogs, though we can see the front limbs with problems too. Your vet may recommend performing x-rays tomorrow to be sure there are no visible abnormalities such as bone cancer that might be an obvious cause. Blood work may also be recommended as some organ dysfunction and underlying illnesses can cause muscle and bone-related pain, as well.

If nothing is found, your vet will likely recommend a trial of canine-safe NSAIDs +/- pain medication. Most often medications like this will begin to greatly help the pet within the first 24 hours of dosing. Sometimes these concerns will require medication from that point until the end of the pet's life, or Jager may simply have overexerted his body and need a few days to heal before going back to his typical happy, healthy self.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing?