Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

He chewed a bottle of Ciprodex and ingested most of the

Customer Question

Good morning. He chewed a bottle of Ciprodex and ingested most of the contents. It was prescibed as drops for an ear ache.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hamiliton is 10 months old. He is a Frenchton and weighs about 20 pounds.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hamiliton?
Customer: He is in good health other than chewing things he shouldn"t.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he chew this?

How many did he get?

What milligrams were they?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He chew up the bottle about 10 minutes ago. It was one small bottle. He chewed the label, so I don't know the exact amount.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The bottle contained 7.5 ml. There is a little bit left in the bottle.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now as you may be aware, this product contains both an antibiotic and a steroid. Therefore, we have 2 drugs ingested here and a range of adverse signs. Specifically, both can cause gut upset (vomiting, appetite loss, diarrhea) but the steroid portion can cause increased thirst/urination and carries the risk of stomach ulcers.

Now since he has had an unknown volume here and has had it so recently, it'd be ideal to err on the side of caution. To start, we can induce vomiting if it has been just ~10 minutes ago. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, we will want to counter ulcer risks and nausea by treating with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Ones we can use here include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, if he has had an unknown dose and since he is quite small, we'd be best to intervene with the above to just get this out of his stomach. That way we can avoid any issue for him. Of course, if you are struggling with the above at all and you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ or

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.