Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Trying to figure that out. She doesn't seem to be feeling

Customer Question

HI! Trying to figure that out. She doesn't seem to be feeling well. She has a minor skin irritation that the dr wasn't really concerned about. But with in the past few hours, I've noticed that she is shaking and has her tail between her legs She also has no problem jumping off the couch, but just now I asked her to come and get a treat and she stayed on the couch. This is totally unusual for her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds on her foot.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: none that I can think of. She has some broken skin in areas where she was scratching, but none look infected
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

What kind of dog is this?

How old is she?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi. She is a chihuahua mix. She is a rescue. The vet put her age around 9
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

Given the signs, age and breed, this is most likely IVDD (intervertebral disc disease). This is where a disc ruptures or herniates in the back pressing on the spinal cord which causes weakness and nerve roots which causes pain. Signs can be as mild as reluctance to walk/ climb stairs to as severe as full paralysis.

Diagnosis is made on neuro exam and then can be confirmed with advanced imaging like MRI, CT or myelogram.

Treatment is based on the stage of the disease:
> Mild weakness/ pain can be treated with strict exercise restriction and anti-inflammatory meds (Rimadyl, Deramaxx) + other pain meds (Gabapentin, Tramadol). Crate confinement for the majority of the day with only short leash walks outside is key, and I like to do this for 1-3 weeks.
> Severe neurologic deficits and paralysis require back decompressive surgery to correct.

It sounds like your dog will do fine with the more conservative management. Most back dogs we see present just like this- reluctance to jump, acting painful, trembling and lethargy. Most do great with pain meds and rest.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

You're very welcome. Happy to help.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?