Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My cocker spaniel keeps licking her paws. The top of one of

Customer Question

My cocker spaniel keeps licking her paws. The top of one of her paws now has a red bump on the top of her paw. Yesterday it started to bleed. My father in law just passed away and we were unable to bring her to the vet. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Do you have pictures to share of the areas you're concerned about?
2) Any history of illness for this companion?
3) Is she on any medications at this time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Allie is a 10 year old cocker spaniel. She has no illnesses. She has no allergies, and is on no medication.

It's hard to tell what is going on in this picture but it looks like there is a mass or lick granuloma present there. With allergies we typically see the pet licking the paw, but this looks like its further up the leg.

For the time being, you can place an e-collar on her to keep her from licking. Here's now to make one at home or you can purchase at a pet store:

You can also give antihistamines if you think this might be related to allergies. It certainly wouldn't hurt. My favorite is Zyrtec. Dosing info here:

I would try to have her examined as quickly as you can, but so long as you can prevent her from causing more harm by using the e-collar it should buy you a few days. You can also clean the wound twice daily with hibiclens or a mild soap. Make sure its as dry as possible between cleanings to minimize dermatitis.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Checking in, Mary. How is your girl doing?