Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

The tip of my dogs tail was caught in a sliding door. He got

Customer Question

Hi the tip of my dogs tail was caught in a sliding door. He got scared and pulled away detaching the tip of head of his tail! It's bleeding.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about tail?
Customer: No...thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is*****'m sorry to hear about this injury with your guy. I've seen similar injuries at my ER clinic numerous times - typically it is cat tails getting caught in doors. What most of the time happens is the skin of the tip of the tail is pulled off. These situations expose the underlying connective tissue / muscle. The best thing you can do is to get him to your vet so they can amputate that exposed tissue. It won't grow skin. It has to be surgically removed. In a way, it is docking the tail to remove this compromised area of the tail.