Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I have 4 dogs. Biggest bring 70 pounds and the other 3 range

Customer Question

Hi!! I have 4 dogs. Biggest bring 70 pounds and the other 3 range from 15-24 pounds. I just got home and found my Armour thyroid on the ground and 2 pills left. The strength is 30MG. I can't say for sure if the big dog ate it all or the others were joined in. I was away from the house for about 3 hours. So far all dogs seem okay. Is there any reason for concern? I did call my vet and they told me to call an 800 number who charges $65.00. Thank you for your help!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question. This is one of those scenarios where there are numerous "x" factors. How many pills do you think were in the bottle as a max? Do any of the dogs have any health issues or are on any medications?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There were 26 pills, I found 2 so 24 are missing. No all dogs are healthy and on no Meds. The lab who I suspect ate them seems okay. No vomitting, diarrhea, panting or hyperactivity as of yet. The other 3 smaller dogs are sleeping.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Armour thyroid can be confusing because it is expressed in total mg of bovine thyroid rather than mcg of levothyroxine. As a good estimate, 1 grain of armour is equal to about 100 mcg of levothyroxine. 64 mg is one grain, so 30 mg is 1/2 grain. So each tablet has around 50 mcg of levothyroxine in it. Overall, Dogs have a very good resistance to thyroid overdoses. However, with thyroid meds, anything over 0.2 mg/kg of T4 can cause mild signs but greater than 1 mg/kg can cause more significant signs like tachycardia and agitation. If the smallest dog ate all 24 tabs, that dose would be around 0.17 mg / kg. This is below the 0.2 mg / kg and there wouldn't be any expected signs. So if they shared, or the big dog ate all, then the situation is even lower.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

50 mcg is equal to 0.05 mg (the metric system allows for these conversions). A 15 pound dog is approximately 6.8 kg. So you take 0.05 mg x 24 tablets to get 1.2 mg and then divide this by 6.8 to get the 0.17 mg / kg dose.