Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I have a 9 year old Pomeranian that has diabetes what is the

Customer Question

I have a 9 year old Pomeranian that has diabetes what is the normal blood sugar range for these guys
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is the dog's name?
Customer: bandit yes he has been to the vet but I wasn't ure where his normal blood sugar range should be
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: well he has siezures when he gets to high on wugar
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Normal glucose ranges are 60-110, roughly. Diabetic dogs are treated a little differently in that we aim for an average over the course of the day and not just a single number all the time. Thus, the glucose may be 80 in the morning before eating and 250 afterwards and still be within a reasonable treatment range despite being over the "normal" for a non-diabetic dog.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing?