Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I have a 6 month old puppy who went into her first heat. She

Customer Question

I have a 6 month old puppy who went into her first heat. She has finished heat but her boobies are growing does this mean she is pregnant?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No. Do you think she is pregnant? I am so upset as I kept her in the house and just once my ex left her outside ūüė°
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When did her heat cycle end?
2) Did anyone witness a breeding?
3) Are you seeing any abdominal swelling?
4) Do you have any pictures of her mammaries and/or abdomen?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1) 2-3 weeks ago
2) no
4)I can take

I'll be standing by for pictures.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do I attatch

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like and to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The potential does exist for her to be pregnant, especially if another dog could have potentially entered the yard and bred her. However, another possibility exists that she could be having a false pregnancy.

I would wait until 6 weeks following the end of her heat cycle. If she is still showing signs of suspect pregnancy, ask your vet to perform an x-ray on her to determine if she's pregnant (and now many puppies to expect). Another option is to have your vet perform a relaxin test on her (pregnancy test) 25-30 days after the end of her heat cycle.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: