Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have a 1 year old boxer Mix that is shivering and vomited

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 1 year old boxer Mix that is shivering and vomited his food up (just dog food no blood, etc) he was fine all day until we scolded him and put him outside for a few minutes for pooping on the carpet. Now an hour later he is still shivering and refuses to eat treats. His ears are pinned back and he is not acting like himself. At first I thought he was just scared and nervous from being scolded but he has never acted like this. Earlier today he ate a dirty diaper and I'm scared he may have a blockage or other issue. (He has ate them in the past and been fine). It's 10 pm so I can't call a vet. Do you think he will be ok for the night? Thanks!
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

It's very possible that the defecation on the carpet may have been the first sign of a GI upset and that the vomiting and shivering are secondary symptoms. It's common for dogs to shiver when they do not feel well or are uncomfortable.

I can give you some steps to take at home to try to calm his stomach, thus calming the vomiting, and a diet to try to help move the diaper particles through his GI tract. If these steps do not help, however, he absolutely needs to be seen by your vet tomorrow, especially if the vomiting persists. Diapers and other absorbent products used by humans commonly do cause gastric blockages when consumed by dogs. It would be ideal to err on the side of caution here. Thus far, nothing in what you've shared as far as history makes me think that Dozer is in a critical condition, just that he does not feel well. If he worsens overnight, do not hesitate to visit the ER in your area.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Dozer?