Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

He has a fast growing lump under by his jaw, Rocky and he is

Customer Question

He has a fast growing lump under by his jaw
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rocky and he is 7 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocky?
Customer: No I was just looking into it hoping to get him into the vet tomorrow
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 2 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Rocky is has a fast growing lump under his chin.

Can you examine the lump and describe it more? Is it hard, firm or soft? Does is appear to be attached to something else, like his jaw bone, or is it "floating" under the skin? Is it painful if you squeeze it? Can you see evidence of the lump inside of his mouth as well?

Please let me know the answers to these questions so that I can help you and Rocky tonight.

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's grown in size over the last 24 hrs. It's real big. We looked in his mouth don't see any bad teeth. It feels like it's attached but it's so big can't feel fully around it. It doesn't seem to bother him except being in the way

Can you send a picture of the mass so that I can see exactly where it is located?

Is there only one mass or are there others, like on the other side of the jaw or down at the base of the neck, near the shoulders?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The only one we see is the one by his neck
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's right above his collar if that helps

Okay, great, that is really helpful.

So, possible causes for the mass include (but are not limited to)- foreign body under the skin, like a grass awn, cactus or plant spine, etc, lymph node (lymphoma, swelling from sinus infection, fungal infection, etc), salivary gland blockage, salivary gland tumor.

You are right to get him to the vet tomorrow. They can put a needle in the mass and determine it's exact cause and prescribe treatments.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am just shocked how fast it has grown
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He seems to be drinking a lot more than normal. We thought it was cause we are fostering a couple dogs and he was being mean but now not so sure

I would wonder about something internal making him more thirsty.

All of the possible causes I described can grow very quickly, like in 24 hours or less.

How is Rocky tonight? Did you take him to the vet today? What did they think about the lump?

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We did take him today. She says it's the lymph node just not sure what it is yet. Took blood and his white blood cell count was 13.5 so not too high. Gave him a shot in case it is an infection and pain meds. Sent biopsy and blood work off to the university

Thank you so much for the update. Your vet really did a great work-up, now you just have to wait.

Best of luck to you and Rocky.

Dr. Amanda

PS- If you would consider rating our conversation, I would really appreciate it. I strive for 100% customer satisfaction.