Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Oh wow, She seems very tired and her abdomen is cool to the

Customer Question

Oh wow, hello. She seems very tired and her abdomen is cool to the touch
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ella, she's 2. Recently had an allergy shot due to seasonal allergies.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ella?
Customer: She doesn't seem stressed. Just not very active which is unlike her
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ella is 75 lbs. She's a mixed breed, Aussie shepherd and pit bull mix.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Unfortunately, lethargy and cool abdominal skin are nonspecific and non-diagnostic symptoms. In order to determine the urgency of having Ella attended to by her vet I need you to check her vital signs for me, please...

1) Check her gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to her tissues).

2) Check her respiratory rate. She should be taking less than 30 breaths/minute while asleep or at rest.

3) Take her rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into her rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!

Please let me know what you find.