Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

He is shaking, or wobbling, I should say after getting into

Customer Question

Hi. He is shaking, or wobbling, I should say after getting into some chocolate ice cream He tends to eat everything off the ground and eats palm nuts/seed too which aren't good.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Koji, 5 1.2 months. He isn't panting too much but seems as if he's 'on something'
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Koji?
Customer: He is missing a back toe, possibly due to poor genetics. He has been fighting kennel cough and got a spell of giardia. He's had a rough go. I got him (accidentally) from a woman who I thought was a legit breeder, but seems like a puppy mill. He's been sick the whole time but getting better, now this today.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi im worried

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that sweet Koji is not feeling well...poor guy!! He has certainly had a very hard start to life and I am very impressed that you are taking such great care of him. It is unlikely that Koji has chocolate toxicity since there is not much chocolate in ice cream but the large amount of sugar is probably affecting his system that is so fragile. For now, the best thing to do is to follow these instructions:

Fast Koji for 12 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give him Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the symptoms have resolved, then wean Koji back onto regular food. If the they persist especially during the fast, take your sweet guy to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I certainly understand your worries....see if this will help him. If this gets worse, then veterinary intervention may be required. Hopefully it is an overdose of sugar that can be resolved.