Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have 95 lb, 2 year old, female Burnese Mountain Dog that

Customer Question

I have 95 lb, 2 year old, female Burnese Mountain Dog that ate a Lexapro pill. She seems fine at the moment. She ate about 1/2 of a 20 milligrams. Any concerns or actions we should take?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No, she is pretty healthy and active.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Thankfully, a dog of her size is likely to remain unaffected by 10 mg of Lexapro (escitalopram) - one of the SSRIs. The most I'd expect to see is transient sedation. I wouldn't induce emesis or treat in any manner. It generally takes 0.15 mg/lb (~15 mg for her) to cause lethargy and perhaps ataxia ("drunken sailor"). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?