Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

I have an 8 year old female chihuahua for the past five

Customer Question

I have an 8 year old female chihuahua for the past five days, she will hardly eat, and will not drink anything. I've had to hand feed her and make sure it's soft food. I took her to the vet yesterday and he found abscesses in her bottom jaw and had to pull a tooth and wants to see her in a couple weeks to pull some more he said, but he didn't seem sure to know why she will eat but not drink. I'm extremely concerned because I have to use a water droplet to force her to drink.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your sweet girl's condition. From what you have described, it is likely that she will nto eat because of pain in her mouth from the abscesses and teeth problems. I am hoping that your vet gave antibiotics to help her over this but until this is cleared up, you will have to force feed her along with giving Pedialyte , a dose every 4-6 hrs to keep her hydrated and flush her system of these toxins. You can give her a dose of Nutrical, available at the pet store, every 4-6 hrs which will give her the nutrients that she needs to get past this. The Nutrical is also an appetite stimulant so this may help your sweet girl past this.

If she does not start wanting to eat within a day or 2, take her back to your vet for testing to be sure they did not miss something.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta