Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

I have a 125lb malamute about 1 month ago he was diagnosed

Customer Question

I have a 125lb malamute about 1 month ago he was diagnosed with pancreatitis and was put on 50mg of prednisone twice daily a later visit to the vet they said he wasn't producing any red blood cells yet his white blood count or platelet count was not elevated they then added Atopica along with the prednisone and said we needed to take him for a bone marrow test. I took him to another vet for a second opinion. she suggested a x-ray which showed a small mass near his spleen. the first vet said that he had to be on a low cal dog food diet which he would not eat,so I'm cooking for him he's been fed boiled skinless chicken breast,broccoli,cauliflower green beans, carrotts,spinach,along with added multi vitamins and turmeric,I have also started him on turkey tail mushroom and lowered his prednisone to 50mg once per day and took him off Atopica, ten days later we went back to the vet for blood work,he's now producing red blood cells,eating like a horse,lots of energy. The second vet we went to has no problem with herbal treatments in fact she recommended other herbs we could add,where as the first vet was by the book,chemicals only,we still have the issue with the mass near his spleen which she said could be a hemangiosarcoma or a non- malignant tumor but at least we have our pet back to his normal self until we determine what it his.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chase,he's 8 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chase,he?
Customer: well over the years the vet has been very freely with metacam for torn of toe-nails and minor limps
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm wondering could the spleen mass be misdiagnosed as pancreatitis
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear of all the problems Chase is having.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Is the mass near, or on his spleen? The best thing to do is an abdominal ultrasound to see if it is on the spleen or other internal organ, and then the ultrasound can be used to direct a needle, to get a biopsy to find out if it is a benign mass or not.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

We usually diagnose pancreatitis from a blood test, such as cPL or PLI. You can't see the pancreas on an xray and only experienced ultrasonographers can see it on ultrasound. If I saw a mass on an xray, I would not be thinking pancreatitis.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I hope you were able to see my responses; I have not heard back from you! Please let me know if I can answer any more of your questions.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?