Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She found a bottle of ibuprofen and ate some - we are not

Customer Question

She found a bottle of ibuprofen and ate some - we are not sure how many. She is a 1 year old sheltie who weighs about 22 pounds. She has vomitted up the contents of her stomach and some bile, but no blood. She is still active and otherwise acting normally.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Callie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Callie?
Customer: No, she is a healthy, very active puppy.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today.

How long ago did she find this?

Was there any sign of the tablets when she vomited?

What milligrams were they? 200mg?

do you think she likely had more than one?

Has she been drinking normally? Passing more urine or having watery urine?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you but as this is quite serious, I do want to leave my thoughts in case you are struggling to reply.

Now the problem here is that Ibuprofen is quite dangerous for dogs and can cause harm in even small doses. As well, since the tablets tend to be quite high (with standard tablets being 200mg), we can see harm in small dogs even with single tablet. And if she is 22lbs, then even a single tablet is a high dose for her so it could cause stomach upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss) and could even cause a stomach ulcer. Though thankfully it is not quite a dose where we’d expect it to damage her kidneys.

Still, we need to tread with care here. If she has had even one tablet, we’d be best to have her vet start symptomatic care to avoid any harm. They can give her fluids to flush the drug out and gastroprotectants to protect the stomach.

Otherwise, any delay in having her seen and we’d want to start some supportive care here. To reduce the risk of gut upset and stomach ulcers, we’d want to start her on an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and given every 12 hours. Of course, you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, we can feel small meals of light diets frequently to give her stomach acid something else to chew on. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder).

Overall, at her weight, I am quite concerned here that she could he at risk from this. The above will help with gut upset and reduce the risk of an ulcer, but a check up with her vet would be best to head off any trouble with this dangerous ingestion.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.