Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Bad ear infection. Vet prescribed antibiotics,i fallowed

Customer Question

bad ear infection. Vet prescribed antibiotics,i fallowed instructions on dosage (pills are gone and infection no better
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: german shepherd (BLACK)is her name.13years old
JA: How old is BLACK?
Customer: 12 or 13 but she is other wise in good shape and active
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about BLACK?
Customer: the ear infection has been treated before but this time its worst its been
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today.

I am very sorry to hear that her infection hasn't settled with treatment. In this case, we'd be concerned that she has an infection resistant to the pills that were given. Therefore, we'd want to have Black reassessed by her vet but would want to discuss having a sample of the ear based discharge taken for bacterial sensitivity and culture. That way you will know what is present in her ear and what drugs it is sensitive to. Once that is known, your vet can choose a more effective treatment +/- also send home pain relief since ear issues tend to be very sore to get her settled here. And in the meantime, if she is amenable you can gently flush her ears with saline/salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) 2-3 times daily to remove discharge and get some of this infection away for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.