Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My 13 year old miniature schnauzer came in tonight walked

Customer Question

my 13 year old miniature schnauzer came in tonight walked into her kennel made whiney sound and fell on the floor and didn't move for like 3 minutes. didn't respond to any calls. then all of a sudden she just got up like it was nothing
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: mia
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about mia?
Customer: she is almost deaf
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When can I hear back about Mia
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 4 months ago.

My name is*****’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health/ behavioral fields for 19+ years. It will be my pleasure to work with you.

Your dog may have experienced a seizure even though there was no drooling or shaking. Seizures can manifest in many different ways. You can read about seizures and the different kinds here:

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/site_map.htm

A dog may also "faint" in which they fall to the ground usually on their side, stare straight ahead and seem paralyzed which indicates a heart problem.. This is called syncopy and can be read about here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/syncope-in-dogs/page1.aspx

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WALTHAMOSU2002&PID=2992

I would have your dog seen by your vet as soon as possible and limit your dog's activity until she can be seen in case it is heart related and not seizure related. If you have a video camera, and this happens again, taping the behavior will help your vet determine the cause.

Given your dog's age, either cause is a possibility. Seizures can occur for a variety of reasons including low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) from not eating to liver dysfunction or even seizures of no known origin. I'd definitely have a senior checkup done on her including bloodwork.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 months ago.

Just following up on Mia. were you able to get her seen by your vet? Did they rule out a heart condition? Did you find my answer helpful?