Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My cocker spaniel who is 13 is limping on his front left leg

Customer Question

hi my cocker spaniel who is 13 is limping on his front left leg and when I went to see what it was, there is a large hard lump about the size of a lemon at top of his leg
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: he has lost weight and had problems with balancing, the think a heart murmurr'
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your cocker. By the principle of Occam's Razor that lump is painful and responsible for his lameness. Please have his vet thoroughly examine and X-ray that leg. Hard and painful lumps too often represent osteosarcoma (bone cancer) which should be readily apparent in X-rays. If his bones look good, the lump should be needle aspirated and the aspirate examined microscopically for its cell type. Once it's determined what the lump consists of, treatment can be more specific. I would expect surgical removal to be recommended as long as bone isn't involved.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.