Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Drinking alot of water and not eating, Buddy and 4.5 i

Customer Question

drinking alot of water and not eating
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Buddy and 4.5 i think.
JA: How old is Buddy?
Customer: 4.5 yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buddy?
Customer: he got him from the pound 4 months ago
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What breed of dog is Buddy?
2) How long has he been avoiding food?
3) How long has he been drinking lots of water?
4) Any vomiting or diarrhea?
5) When was the last time that he had a full panel of blood work performed?
6) Any weight loss?
7) Is he urinating a lot, as well?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What breed of dog is Buddy? Lab/mix
2) How long has he been avoiding food? 2 days. usually eats his one cup in 30 seconds
3) How long has he been drinking lots of water? 4 day.
4) Any vomiting or diarrhea? No, niether
5) When was the last time that he had a full panel of blood work performed? 4 months ago
6) Any weight loss? No
7) Is he urinating a lot, as well? Yes

Yes, labs and their mixes certainly tend to have a strong appetite so we know something isn't quite right when they stop eating.

Often we see that dogs who are nauseated will drink large volumes of water. As well, it would be wise to ensure that there is not an underlying illness such as organ dysfunction that might be causing the high volume of water consumption. I can give you some steps to take at home, but if he does not make vast improvements or he worsens over the weekend, I would highly recommend having him examined by your vet (or at the ER) as soon as possible and diagnostics performed such as blood work, urinalysis and x-rays of the abdomen.

The first step will be to use an antacid to calm his stomach. Once this is done, his appetite should improve. Following this, a bland diet in the event that he's battling a GI upset.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. He can consume this diet as long as is needed and you can slowly start switching back to his regular food once he's eating well again.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing?