Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 3 yr old Great Dane acted sick at bedtime. Did not eat

Customer Question

My 3 yr old Great Dane acted sick at bedtime. Did not eat her fre My Great Dabe started acting sick at bedtime. Declined her treats. This am started throwing up. Acted as if she was feeling better and ate her food for breakfast. Now she has thrown up 4 Xs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Rose
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rose?
Customer: She has thrown up before when we gave her pork so we had to stop that. She has had a sensitive stomach since a baby but never has thrown up this much. Listless.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she has these signs?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has she had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not know if she has had any diarrhea. At least no accidents. She has drank water but then a little later she that and her breakfast up. I thought she had got into our son's pizza that he left n box on couch bc I found 2 pieces on the floor and one of our other dogs had hold of them and only the pepperoni was missing. Oh no there is blood coming from her nose. It just started!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Oh dear,

How much blood are you seeing? A bit of a steady flow?

Any access to rat bait or blood thinners?

From one nostril or both?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We ended up rushing Rose (my Great Dane to a vet 45 miles from here. They ran bloodwork. Her platelets were off. Her Monocites (?) or something like that are off. They sent off blood sample cwon't know anything till next Tues. in the meantime she was put on Cerenia for vomiting and an meds for infection. After med for nausea I gave her mashed potatoes & she ate that. I do not know. It is a wait now for results on bloodwork. That is hard! She was still throwing up when we got her home. We have no clue why she got so sick.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

No worries, my dear.

When I did not hear back I assumed you had and its good that you did if her platelets were off.

Especially since that can be due to rat bait exposure/warfarin, bone marrow issues, internal bleeding, tick borne diseases, splenic issues, or even immune mediated thrombocytopenia (where the body attacks its own platelets). Now hopefully active bleeding has been ruled out and it will be a case of patience and keeping her calm (since we don't want her injuring herself since she'd be prone to bruising). As well, just to not, as her stomach stabilizes, do add protein to that potato for her. You can use boiled chicken, cottage cheese, white fish, or scrambled egg. And those will help help get some protein in too as her body hopefully replenishes these lost platelets.

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just cannot imagine Rose eating anything strange. She is finniky (sp? The blood that was coming out of both nostrils has stopped. My heart wa really heavy around 12:30. She refused to eat but she has to have food with Meds. I finally got her to eat a little mashed potatoes. We got her Meds down her and she went right back to sleep. Now this evening she finally ate a little dog food and I tried chicken breasts with sweet potato treats and she ate 3. I think she is turning around but she is a 120# ***** right now. I think maybe she will make it but scared about what the diagnosis will be on Tuesday. I know some people would not understand but our dogs are like our children. And I was so frightened. My hubby as well. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

I completely understand and I know with this arising over the weekend the delays in getting answers will be difficult. Still it's good she ate a bit more and hopefully those tests will just come back as immune medicated and treatment for that can be started to halt this and get her back to normal for you.

Best wishes for Rose,

Dr. B

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
An update on my precious Great Dane Rose. Oh it has been a rough 5-6 days. But the vet called in Prednisone for her. This morning she seems more like herself and she actually ate her food this morning. I am so grateful for Dr B and her advice for I have used the foods recommended, etc. yes, I took Rose to a vet, but he never gave me detailed advice like Dr B did. I am still a little worried but more hopeful since her appetite appears to be returning. Thank you! God bless you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Good morning,

Thank you for the update on Rose.

I am glad to hear that her vet has started steroids to help support her marrow making new platelets and prevent her body from attacking them as she does. As well, it is positive that her appetite is returning and that she is starting to feel better.

Keep up the good work and best wishes for Rose,

Dr. B.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )