Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Loose stool. Looks normal but consistency of pudding, 7.

Customer Question

Loose stool. Looks normal but consistency of pudding
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 7. This has been going on for a year now. Have tried swithcing over to other food but have had no luck
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about 7?
Customer: Yes 7.5 yrs old Golden retriever 95 pounds
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What diet do you have him on just now?

Has any stool testing been done? Any treatments tried?

When was he last wormed? What did you use?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Stool testing was done. Turned out negative. Currently I dropped down a brand 2 Purina Beyond. I was buying neutrals from Petco or PetSmart PetSmart other treatments as I stopped giving him his treats and that didn't help
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Can you tell me what type of stool testing was done?

Did the practice just check for parasites in house? Did the sample go to the lab for bacterial culture and viral testing?

How long has he been on the new diet?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I believe it was sent off to a lab.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As far as his diet. I've tried to change it every 4 months doing it properly a little at a time over the course of a week before we making the switch
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you again.

First, I am glad to hear that you are slowly weaning when trying new diets. That is ideal since quick changes can negatively impact the stool. Now the reason I asked about what testing was done is because we need to make sure all infectious agents (ie pathogenic bacteria, worms, protozoa, and viruses have been ruled out). If they have, then at his age we'd also have to be wary of IBD or gut based cancers. So, we need to tread with care and if all infectious agents were excluded, then speaking to his vet about an ultrasound or scoping to check the gut +/- sample the cells to determine if these are causing these abnormal stools.

Otherwise, with your supportive care, we can try a few other options. You could diet trial him on a gut sensitive diet like Royal Canin Gastrointestinal diet, Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity as these tend to be better absorbed and thus help form stools better in these cases. Alternatively, you could add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran ) to that current diet to help normalize the stools. Also canine probiotics to help maintain the good gut bacteria population (key for digestion and stool formation) could also be added here and can be purchased over the counter (ie Bene-bac, Fortiflora).

Finally, as long as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a low dose of a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit for firming the stools. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option as these also have probiotics added in.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. Its good you have ruled out infectious agents, but it does raise some other concerns with his failing to respond to diet alone. So, we'd want to add in the above supportive care but may need to think about an ultrasound or endoscopy to get to the root of this and make sure we are managing this for your lad.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you I will take that advice
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited by the site for helping you. Thank you !: )