Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I have a soon to be 1 year old male yorkie. Lately during

Customer Question

I have a soon to be 1 year old male yorkie. Lately during the summer, his poop goes from light brown and firm, to sometimes greenish and mushy. He has a normal appetite, normal energy, drinks enough water and no changes in he food. I am wondering if the heat has anything to do with it I have noticed every time it's hot or humid in doors there is a big difference with his poop.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Milo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Milo?
Customer: I think that's all
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today.

Is Milo out more during this warmer weather?

Are you seeing him eat more grass/plants since this started?

When was he last wormed?

Any new treats, tid bits, or diet changes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We have been taking longer walks, as we stay in the dog park for about an hour each afternoon which is when it has been extremely hot. And I have not seen him eat any grass or plants but I will keep a better eye, but I really don't think he does. And he was wormed last year. And not any new diet changes.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've noticed a couple of times this summer, when it was hotter than usual both indoors and out his poop changes. But then as the temperature gets better he is better
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Fecal exam has been less than a year ago
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

To see intermittent changes in color/consistency of stools can be related to heat stress but is more likely to Milo having a bit more of an immune challenge from his increased exposure to bacteria/viruses out in the environment. This is very common as dogs sniff and mouth all sorts of things on walks and thus expose themselves to mild gut upsetting agents. As well, I would suggest keeping an eye on his plant intake since this too can cause these kinds of signs.

Otherwise, in all the above situations, we'd want to monitor but not be overly worried here. That said a bit of supportive care for the gut would be ideal. To start, we'd want to consider an OTC canine probiotic (ie Fortiflora, Benebac) to stabilize the good gut bacteria and ensure his digestion is at optimum. And if he is picking up minor bacterial agents, this can just nip that in the bud. As well, if he does get quite runny you can get Kaolin/probiotic combination pastes like Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon). And if he hasn't been wormed since last year (and hasn't had that stool test since these signs started), it'd be ideal to cover bases and worm again now. Especially since we tend to want to worm every 3 months at this age.

Overall, we can see looser stools with heat stress in some animals and often its just a case of keeping them cool in warmer weather. That said, these signs do raise some other concerns. Therefore we'd want to keep an eye on what he is in contact with on walks but try the above to ensure his gut and digestion is at optimum and that we settle this for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )