Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My daughter thinks her dog drank motor oil. found black on

Customer Question

my daughter thinks her dog drank motor oil. found black on his gums. pupils dilated. scrotum is collapsed???drank some water. been out in the heat. any thoughts??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: blue. age is about 7, pit bull
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about blue?
Customer: has some cysts on his side and one is ruptured just now. has a green discharge from his penis, unrelated to current symptoms.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. While motor oil is toxic it's unlikely that a dog would ingest enough to cause any more than gastrointestinal distress in the form of vomiting and diarrhea. The lighter petroleum distallates are more dangerous as they're more readily absorbed and can cause central nervous system signs - tremors and seizures, e.g. Being out in the heat, a ruptured cyst, and balanoposthitis (infection in the prepuce causing that green discharge) may be contributory to his symptoms but the extent of their contribution is unclear to me from here. May I have an update on Blue, please?